Wednesday, 8 July 2015

June Playlist


I thought I'd try out an alternative to the monthly favourites thing that everyone does. My favourites don't change all that much from one month to another, but my favourites do. I thought I'd share a couple of the songs I liked on my blog here. Usually I put it up on my Music Blog but I thought it would be a good idea to share it here as well as a lot of people may want some music recommendations.














June has been an adventure in terms of band hunting. I've found some bands that I've had on repeat and a couple that were sub-standard, in my opinion. On top of that, I got a LOT of suggestions an submissions on my music blog so I had a lot of research and listening to do this month. There have been a couple of tunes that I absolutely must recommend to the populace so here I am, in my jammes, being more productive than I am at my day job!

Silhouettes by Colony House



If you like something peppy but not too loud, this one is for you. Their sound on this track reminds me of Grouplove and Young the Giant. I downloaded their entire album and each track has a slightly different sound. I found that to be quite a rare feat as usually a band sticks to the seem elements throughout an album.

This track is pretty summery. It is quite innocent and reminds of the feeling of wind in my hair. Seems quite odd but wait till you listen to it!

Mess is Mine by Vance Joy



Vance Joy needs no introduction. Everyone's heard of him, everyone loves him. His music has a sense of honesty which I really love. He really puts himself into it and although there are a lot of emotions in the lyrics, the sound is a bit lighthearted and carefree and breezy. It's calming! A great tune to be playing in the background when you're super stressed or you've had a bad day and can't think of a way to unwind.

Boys and Girls by Alabama Shakes



I have a slight case of insomnia and when I'm up late at night, there's magic in the air when I listen to a bit of blues and watch fairy lights twinkle. If you think I'm crazy, you haven't experienced it for yourself. I've been a fan of blues for so long but Alabama Shakes is something else. The vocals are so exquisite! It's so raw and relaxed. I feel at peace with everything I'm fighting when I listen to songs like this.

Greek Tragedy by The Wombats



This is just a fun song with addictive beats. Great to listen to in the car when you're driving in traffic.
It's no secret that The Wombats have an underlying darkness to their tunes and this one stems from their time in LA and what the lead singer went through there, the details of which I'm not too sure of. The band covers it up with an overlay of synth-pop that would have anyone moving to, whether they understand the disturbance in between or not. The video is graphic and a bit disturbing, but I, for one, like this mismatched combination of party-pop with the violent behavior.

Tear in my Heart by Twenty One Pilots



Another fun, colourful track in the playlist. To be honest, I didn't like a lot of their music that I sampled on youtube. This one stood apart for me because of the lyrics and the catchy sound. The lyrics have a lot of dark imagery but is sung in a very light manner. Overall, it's another great song for those long car rides.

Throwback by GIANTS feat. Josef Salvat



I've been a fan of Josef Salvat and GIANTS for a while now and when the two decided to collaborate, I knew I'd love it even before I heard it and they did not disappoint! I don't usually fall for electronic music but I like the moodiness GIANTS have in some of their tunes. This track pulsates a bit which I love, and it also showcases Josef Salvat's amazing vocal talents.

That's it for this post! For more music recommendations, check out my music blog Holocene where I share new music every week.

Hope you liked this post. Let me know if you liked any of the tracks I mentioned and if you have any recommendations of your own to add to this list.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment