Wednesday, 16 September 2015

August Playlist

Took me long enough to get this post together, mostly because I couldn't decide on which songs to feature. My mood fluctuated with the bipolar weather last month! I went from pensive to doubtful to down right depressed to content to being an eccentric hippy on an acid trip (not that I've ever done acid). 


After weeks of categorizing all the music I listened to last month based on genre and time and place that they were played most, I picked my favourite of the favourites to share with anyone interested. Hope you like them!
Castle by Halsey 


I found Halsey on the official vevo chennel on youtube a while back when she performed an acoustic version of her song "Hurricane". I think in the present day and age when all the new artists coming up are all singing pretty much the same heartless crap, it's more than refreshing to find artists that write their own music and put their own experiences into it. Even though her music leans more towards the pop side (which I'm not too fond of) her voice has a bit of non-pop edge to it which I really like. Not to mention how catchy this song is!

10 Years by Earlimart


I can imagine this track playing in an indie film, possibly at the point where the protagonist comes to terms with everything that's been fucking with his head. It had probably been featured in a film. It seemed so familiar the first time I heard it. 

Every song I hear from Earlimart is so different. They offer such a variety of sounds but this one has got to be my favourite. It's so simple and mellow, not too upbeat but not too depressing either. Great for those times when you're driving home alone late in the evening and wondering how you got there. 

Fun fact: the lyrics of this song inspired the URL of my music blog!

Life Life by The Rosebuds


Take me back in time with this song! It's perfect for a hazy bar when you feel like a hippy and everything seems to be going in slow motion.

These guys are amazing! Their songs have that retro sound to them but at the same time, they keep it contemporary. The lyrics and vocals seem simple but overall it works so well. I've had this song on my iPod for a couple of years now and I'm yet to get sick of it. 

A Demon Like Me by Blair Crimmins and the Hookers


If you like Tom Waits, and the glorified darkness of blues, you will love Blair Crimmins! They capture the essence of New Orleans in their music, which is what they aim to do as they are a band from New Orleans. 

I have been fascinated with the darker aspects of life for as long as I can remember, believing in the existence of everything that scares the living daylights out of me. Blues and Jazz are said to be the sounds of the devil because they glorify all that people do not speak of. I love the mystery that it reveals in a seductive manner, luring you in and holding you captive with the melody. Needless to say, New Orleans is closer to the top of my wander-list!

Make Believe by The Burned


This song was on the Gossip Girl soundtrack. I don't remember which season or episode it was on, it was so long ago! 

The lyrics are perfect for those days when you're so down you feel like no one gets what you're going through. It's wise and relatable, and as the title suggests, will keep you from giving up completely. 

There are my top six of August! Hope you take some time to listen to them. Let me know if you like them or not, and maybe even leave me suggestions for future playlists!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment